Monday, October 11, 2010

Apple Pancakes

Tonight, I had a bit of a dilemma not unlike most mothers have when 6:00 rolls around and the kid's tummys are grumbling.  "What am I going to make for dinner??"  I try to make at least 4 big meals a week.  By "big" I mean a meal consisting of all the four food groups.... meats , fruits & vegetables, breads/grain and dairy etc.  That might mean a nice Swiss Chicken (meat) topped with bread crumbs (breads) swiss cheese and sour cream (dairy) peas and cranberry sauce (fruits and veggies).  This happens to be one of my families favorite meals.  Another meal might be, let's say, a corn chowder... with potatoes, bacon  served with homemade rolls.  Again containing all four food groups.  But tonight... I was at a loss for ideas!  And this after having dropped a small fortune on groceries at BJ's.   What to do... what to do?  So since it was getting rather late (7:30 to be exact)... I resolved myself to the idea of PANCAKES!  Everyone was in favor of it, except for Rex, who does not like pancakes.  I pulled the huge box of Bisquick out of the pantry... and there it sat for another 15... 20 minutes.  Just when I thought all hope was lost, my very handsome, very creative husband came into the kitchen and asked, "What's for dinner my love?"  Our eyes met and then my eyes slowly drifted to the big box of pancake mix.  "Pancakes??" he said with a concerned grimace.   I nod yes.  Suddenly, it was as if a gigantic light bulb lit up inside his head and my big hunk of burning love sprung into action and took the situation into his strong, capable hands.  He opened the fridge and proceeded to pull out various ingredients and condiments.  Then he went over to the computer and typed in PANCAKES....   the recipe that he selected required buttermilk, of which we had none.  So what did he do?  Did he throw his hands up in despair and select another recipe? (I think not!)  Did he scrap the  whole idea of pancakes and settle for cereal?  (shudder the thought!)  No!  He decided to "make" buttermilk!!!!!!!!!  WOW!!  It was an amazing sight to behold!  Truly mesmerizing!  I felt like I had a front row seat to Food Network's Iron Chef... one of our favorite shows!  He chopped and stirred and folded and sprinkled various ingredients into a bowl and dropped the batter onto a heated griddle.  The smell of the pancakes permeated the entire house... even the next door neighbor stepped out onto his deck to get a better sniff!!  (Just kidding!)  He served me first... as I took the first bite, for a brief, solemn moment... it was as if all was right in the world.... I felt like I was floating on a fluffy cloud.  As the kids ate, they too had the same reaction as I did...  Aaaaahhhh!!  Dinner was saved thanks to my "iron chef"....  Can't wait to see what's for dinner tomorrow night!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds wonderful and it is making my mouth water lol! I well remember Mark's cooking skills. I still make his potato salad and it is always praised and marveled everywhere I bring it. (and I do give Mark credit every time :) I cannot go to my sisters house for a bbq without having to make Mark's potato salad. sigh... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla... that's so funny to hear that! I will let Mark know. We think of you guys often and would love to see you guys in the not so distant future! I love reading your blog...I am very new at this, but I do enjoy it! I love you my sister! Tell the wholle Johnson family that the Morths send their love!!

    ReplyDelete